Accounting Clerk Senior
Company: Panama-Buena Vista Union School District
Posted on: June 24, 2022
Performs financial record keeping duties associated with the
processing and completing of accounting transactions for various
accounts. Assumes responsibility for one or more elements within a
complete accounting system such as accounts receivable, accounts
payable cash, fund accounts, and limited-scope financial
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
Incumbents in this classification are qualified to handle accounts
payable, accounts receivable, and asset accounts, however, will
usually specialize in on area depending on volume.
* Prepares and processes accounts payable information to comply
various payment timetables. Verifies and reconciles documentation
of merchandise and services received against claims, invoices,
purchase orders, and packing slips. Reviews accounts payable and
structures payments to qualify for discounts.
* Assists others with resolving problems with accounting
transactions and adjustments such as credit memoranda, undocumented
purchases and invoices, goods and services not received, returned
or refund checks.
* Verifies and corrects account codes, authorization, and available
and qualifying budgets.
* Monitors transaction status such as payment histories, partial
payments, past due charges, merchandise back orders, POs as
payables, POs as rollovers for the new fiscal year, and end-of-year
* Prepares backup documentation for accounting transactions such as
warrants mailed, and sales tax reports. Reviews and verifies that
vendor statements are authentic and invoices have been posted to
* Compares accounts payable and related information contained in
District databases to account details and amounts contained in
County Office of Education records. Initiates communications and
* Provides support toward establishing vendor/contractor accounts.
Secures appropriate signatures and other supporting information is
contained in files. Distributes fully executed contracts to
* Compiles reports on a recurring basis to show balances such as
cash receipts, accounts payable, and receivable. Assists with
tracing transactions through previous accounting actions to
identify and correct discrepancies.
* Prepares documents such as invoices and account statements for
accounts receivable. Follows up with customers on account balances
that are outstanding, or involve multiple fiscal years. May
recommend remedial action or write-off of account balances.
* Creates and maintains files with contract and tax withholding
information for manual monthly payments and verifies payment
authorization. Sets up and maintains various tickler files for
* Reviews and processes miscellaneous items related to accounts
payable and accounts receivable such as credit cards.
* Prepares revenue reports for review and distribution to oversight
* Assists with preparing journal entries to general ledger by
entering data following established instructions, steps, and
* May prepare financial statements for funds of limited diversity
in accounts and where common software can be used.
* Provides administrative support to projects and special
assignments that require getting information and cooperation from
other departments and vendors.
* May prepare correspondence relating to assigned
* Performs other duties as assigned that support the overall
objective of the position including those performed by accounting
technicians and other clerical staff.
* Knowledge and Skills:
* Requires a working knowledge of the principles, practices, and
terminology of financial and statistical record keeping and
accounting data entry practices. Requires a working knowledge of
governmental and fund accounting procedures for accounts payable,
accounts receivable, and disbursements. Requires knowledge of
methods for structuring payments and/or invoices to consider vendor
timing, discounts, and penalties. Requires a working knowledge of
computer-aided accounting systems to setup accounts, enter
accounting transactions, and extract detail and summary
information. Requires basic knowledge of financial statements and
accounting performance (variance) reports. Requires a working
knowledge of office clerical procedures and computer-aided office
productivity software. Requires sufficient writing skills to
prepare routine business correspondence, work steps, and account
footnotes. Requires sufficient math skills to compute totals,
extensions, portions, ratios, quotients, and percentages. Requires
sufficient human relation skills to convey policies and procedures
and to deal cooperatively with others on accounting
* Requires the ability to perform the functions of the position.
Requires the ability to learn and apply accounting rules and
procedures, sales and use tax requirements and schedules, and
procedures for electronic transfer of accounting information.
Requires the ability to learn various vendor accounting
requirements and cycles. Requires the ability to search, compile,
and interpret accounting data. Requires the ability to maintain
accurate and retrievable files, records, audit trails and trace
transactions to original entries. Requires the ability to perform
accounting and general math computations quickly and accurately.
Requires the ability to organize and prioritize work to meet
deadlines and timetables. Requires the ability to work
cooperatively with individuals and work teams within and outside
the department, including vendors. Requires the ability to access
and use a computer, common office productivity software, and
specialized accounting software to access databases.
Education and Experience:
* High School diploma or GED, plus college-level curriculum in
bookkeeping or business practices.
* 2 years experience in a production oriented record keeping,
cashiering, or general clerical capacity.
* Additional experience may substitute for higher education.
Licenses and Certificates:
* May require a valid driver's license.
* Typing Certificate (40 WPM)
* District Clerical Screening Test Certificate.
* Accounting Clerk Sr. Test Certificate.
Application Document Requirements:
* High School diploma or GED.
* Typing Certificate 40 WPM (must be dated within 1 year of job
* District Clerical Screening Test Certificate.
* Account Clerk Sr. Test Certificate.
The district offers the Clerical and Accounting Clerk Sr. Screening
test. Please visit the Human Resources Testing Page to review
testing information and to register for testing if you need to meet
Salary and Terms of Service:
Salary range (C7) $23.04 - $27.94 per hour, nine (9) steps, eight
(8) hours per day and five (5) days per week (M-F). Holidays, sick
leave and vacation benefits. Prepaid family dental, medical, and
vision insurance, prepaid life insurance plan for employee only,
prorated according to number of hours worked.
Required Application Procedure:
Apply Online. An online application and all documents supporting
the application requirements noted above must accompany your
application by the closing date in order to receive consideration
for this position. It shall be the applicant's responsibility to
supply copies of all documentation, letters of recommendation etc.
or other related materials.
A screening committee will evaluate each application, personal
resume, and other letters of reference. Interviews will be
scheduled for qualified applicants. If after interviews suitable
applicants are not found, the search will continue. As required by
California State Law, should you be employed by the District, your
fingerprints will be taken and submitted to the Justice Department
and the FBI for a background check. Processing fee will be at
Keywords: Panama-Buena Vista Union School District, Bakersfield , Accounting Clerk Senior, Accounting, Auditing , Bakersfield, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!