Engineering - Manager of Capital Delivery
Company: California Water Service
Posted on: September 15, 2018
California Water Service (Cal Water) invites you to pursue a career with the largest investor-owned American water utility west of the Mississippi River and the third-largest publicly traded water utility in the country. Formed in 1926, the San Jose-based company was named one of the Bay Area's Top Workplaces several years in a row. Cal Water employees pride themselves on sharing a commitment to being the leader in providing its customers and communities with traditional and innovative utility services.
Cal Water offers a generous total compensation package. We have competitive salaries and match a portion of employees' contributions to their Company 401(k). In addition, we provide a Company-funded pension plan, great healthcare benefits that provide coverage to employees and dependents, and generous tuition reimbursement. In addition, employees receive 11 paid holidays and three floating holidays per year, and two weeks of sick leave and vacation.
We are committed to hiring the best candidates, developing current employees, and promoting from within. Continuous improvement and employee development opportunities allow employees to acquire knowledge and skills necessary to progress and reach your career goals.
The Manager of Capital Delivery oversees the central Capital Delivery team whose primary function is to provide engineering services and support to safely execute high quality capital projects on scope, schedule, and budget. This includes projects for the Company's four central operating districts: Bakersfield, Visalia, Selma, and Kern River Valley (and other districts as needed), as well as the non-regulated water utility system of the City of Bakersfield. This position is responsible for the execution of +/- $30 million in capital, annually; overseeing the technical design, permitting, and management of construction (including inspection) for capital projects thru completion primarily for the potable water systems and to a limited degree, the wastewater systems. The Manager of Capital Delivery also participates in a number of special projects, including due diligence for acquisitions, rate case support, and various corporate goals. The position reports to the Director of Capital Delivery and is located in Bakersfield, California.
- Manages staff, including prioritizing and assigning work, conducting performance reviews, overseeing training and development, hiring and termination, and disciplinary recommendations
- Assists in the development of long-range vision, mission, and strategic planning processes for the Capital Delivery Central team
- Oversees capital projects to ensure completion on schedule and on budget and drives recovery strategies to ensure capital project completion goals for the Capital Delivery Central team are achieved
- Continually assesses team workload versus capacity to ensure service and timely project completion and recommends alternative approaches as needed to achieve goals
- Reviews/approves all technical documents produced to include plans, specifications, correspondence, requests for proposals (RFP), justifications, estimates, and bids received
- Serves as the companies' technical lead responsible for maintaining, updating and improving design standards, and processes
- Provides technical expertise/assistance to reporting engineering staff, as well as various district personnel
- Participates in special projects including due diligence for acquisitions and various corporate goals
- Oversees capital budget preparation, including cost estimates and justifications, and budget summaries for rate case submission
- Interacts with and consults various public and private agencies, including the Public Utilities Commission (PUC) and the State Division of Drinking Water (DDW)
- Provides recommendations for improvement to engineering and business processes within the department and the Company
- Participates in and supports the Company's Continuous Improvement program and projects
- Performs other similar duties as assigned
- Bachelor's degree in Civil or Environmental Engineering or related field
- California Professional Engineer (PE) License in Civil Engineering
- Five years of progressive engineering experience in water utility engineering design, project management, and construction management
- Management experience desired
- Master's degree in Civil or Environmental Engineering desired
- Project Management Institute (PMI) certifications desired
- Water Distribution and Water Treatment Operator Certifications desired
- Knowledge and certifications in wastewater design desired
- Valid California Driver License
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of supervisory principles, practices, and techniques
- Knowledge of water system engineering, operations, and maintenance
- Knowledge of Cal Water design standards relating to transmission, distribution, pumping, treatment, and production facilities
- Knowledge and experience in construction management.
- Knowledge and understanding of the PUC rate case process and financial principles, including familiarity with the PUC Uniform System of Accounts
- Knowledge and understanding and experience with the California Waterworks Standards
- Knowledge and ability to use Microsoft Office applications to create spreadsheets, presentations, and Word documents
- Ability to perform a wide variety of duties and responsibilities with accuracy and speed under the pressure of time-sensitive deadlines
- Ability to make technical decisions and strive for consensus with other engineering managers and district staff
- Demonstrated knowledge of project management, including project bidding, budget, and contract negotiations processes
- Ability to communicate well, both verbally and in writing, with all levels of employees and management
- Ability to understand and write policies, procedures, and instructions
- Ability to communicate and maintain effective working relationships with outside contractors, vendors, consultants, regulators, and staff in districts, departments, and engineering
- Ability to write clear and concise general and technical reports and perform engineering computations
- Demonstrated trouble shooting and problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated leadership skills
- Demonstrated time management and organizational skill
Deadline to submit resume is Wednesday, September 26, 2018.
The Equal Opportunity Policy of the Company is based upon the philosophy that all people should be treated fairly and with dignity. California Water Service, Hawaii Water Service, New Mexico Water Service and Washington Water Service do not discriminate against any applicant or employee because of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, or any other protected class. The Company makes all employment decisions in a non-discriminatory manner. EOE, VET, DISABILITIES.
Keywords: California Water Service, Bakersfield , Engineering - Manager of Capital Delivery, Engineering , Bakersfield, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!