Manager, Patient Care Unit (Telemetry)/Critical Care Unit (CCU)
Company: Surgery Partners
Posted on: January 24, 2023
DescriptionJob Title: Manager, Critical Care Unit (CCU)/Patient
Care Unit (Telemetry)
This professional staff person is responsible for maintaining the
day-to-day operations of his/her assigned unit(s). The Nurse
Manager leads effective care delivery through strong caregiver
engagement, wise use of resources, and compassionately holding
others accountable for their behaviors and actions. The Manager
provides support to the staff by directing, monitoring and
evaluating the patient load and ensures that patient care is
optimized through the proper allocation of staffing resources. As a
member of the interdisciplinary care team, the Manager works
collaboratively with the other members to assure safe and accurate
delivery of care. In addition, the Manager serves as a resource for
technical services in a cross-functional mode to comprehensively
serve patient needs.
Nurse Managers are accountable for unit adherence to all applicable
laws, regulations, policies, contracts, procedures, and standards
of performance. The Nurse Manager develops and mentors their direct
reports and plans for succession. Nurse Managers are informed by
the highest level of evidence available when developing standards
and modifying care delivery systems. The Manager is the lead
facilitator for the hospital departments, physicians, external
agencies, nursing staff, and allied healthcare professionals. The
Manager oversees the daily operations of the Critical Care and
Patient Care Units, assisting nursing staff in providing quality
outcomes for all inpatients. The Manager sustains performance while
tracking and reporting impact of cardiac care delivery on patients'
quality of life, physicians' and nurses 'enrichment/satisfaction,
error reduction, length of stay measures and patient care resource
This position is responsible for ensuring and supporting
Bakersfield Heart Hospital's strategic priorities and programs. The
Manager participates in program development as it relates to the
Critical Care/Patient Care Units. This includes, but is not limited
to staff education, patient education, community education, program
development and marketing. The Manager ensures the care for the
CCU/PCU patients throughout the continuum and works with the
Director of Nursing, collaborating with leadership team members to
ensure comprehensive medical record documentation to reflect
clinical treatment, decisions, and diagnoses for inpatients. The
Manager plans, develops and implements department initiatives that
are in keeping with the mission, vision, and values of Bakersfield
- Education: Graduate of an accredited professional nursing
program. Bachelor's Degree in Nursing. Master's Degree in related
- Licensure/Certification: Registered Nurse with current state
licensure or licensure from a state within the Nursing Compact.
Current BLS and ACLS certification. CCRN preferred.
- Experience: Minimum of three years acute care nursing with
emphasis on cardiology/cardiovascular care.
Patient Care Delivery & Quality Management
- Supervises the direct patient care functions of the department,
to include; staff competency assessments, ongoing performance
review and improvement, and staff education directed at clinical
- Ensures staff competency with standards of care and compliance
with core measure and other quality improvement
- Maintains necessary documentation standards and provides
leadership with staff to ensure same.
- Coordinates the delivery of care and responds to needs within
the hospital for rapid response, code blue and/or other internal
- Collaborates with other disciplines to create a teamwork
approach to patient care.
- Maintains clinical competency in nursing practice and provides
direct patient care in assigned department as needed.
- Participates on hospital shared governance committee(s), writes
clinical policy and procedures, and develops unit-based improvement
- Ensures the adequacy of preceptor training competency.
Leadership, Teamwork and Collaboration
- Promotes and maintains a positive image of nursing and clinical
- Recognizes staff contributions and consistently inspires growth
and development of each team member for peak performance.
- Focuses staff on interdisciplinary teamwork through
communication and role model behavior.
- Works closely with the hospital Resource Nurse to ensure that
staffing and teamwork have proper clearances.
- Assists other nursing leaders in the ongoing development of
professional practice model and helps each staff member to
understand their role functions.
- Assists department Director to carry out team leadership and
staff development plans.
- Creates an environment which: cultivates personal
accountability, personal investment in the unit, clinical
excellence and nurtures BHH commitment to patient-centered
Communication & Interpersonal Relations
- Breaks down communication barriers within the team through
open, candid and supportive interactions.
- Communicates plans for change and progress in the context of
the mission and values of BHH.
- Helps others to package and effectively present their
- Gives clear, understandable instructions to
- Coaches team members to effective communication
- Demonstrates empathy and positive regard for others, which
supports relationships with people from diverse backgrounds or from
- Responds to issues raised by others in a timely fashion,
consults Director on a regular basis.
- Creates a comfortable environment for raising concerns,
problem-solving, contributing ideas, and focusing the energy of the
team on necessary change.
- Works closely with department Director to ensure that labor and
supply expenses are managed effectively.
- Assures appropriate utilization of human resources, with
attention to skill mix, RN ratio requirements, and department
- Is accountable for daily productivity of assigned
- Ensure employee compliance and accountability for accurate time
and pay practices/documentation in the electronic
- Ensures completion of productivity, acuity, and staffing
documentation as needed.
- Participates with Director to develop a department-specific
customer satisfaction improvement plan.
- Creates enthusiasm within the staff/department for patient
satisfaction efforts. Inspires the staff to innovate their own
- Mobilizes other resources as needed to meet the needs of
patients/families by drawing other team members into the
- Is proactive in addressing service weaknesses, service recovery
needs, complaints, and formal grievances as needed.
At Bakersfield Heart Hospital, our patients are family. Healthcare
is constantly evolving; our growing organization is devoted to
ensuring that each person in our care feels safe. Our world-class
team of driven, passionate healthcare professionals are always
focused on service excellence and providing top quality care at the
bedside. If you share our values, we want to hear from you!
Competitive Pay. Full Suite of Benefits.
Bakersfield Heart Hospital is committed to the safety and wellbeing
of our team members and patients. Therefore, we require that all
team members receive all required vaccinations, including, but not
limited to, measles, mumps, flu (based on the seasonal availability
of the flu vaccine typically during October - March each year),
etc. as a condition of employment, and annually thereafter. Medical
and religious exemptions may apply.Qualifications
ExperienceMinimum of three years acute care nursing with emphasis
on cardiology/cardiovascular care. (preferred)
Licenses & CertificationsAdvanced Cardiac Life Sup (required)
Registered Nurse (required)
Basic Life Support (required)
Keywords: Surgery Partners, Bakersfield , Manager, Patient Care Unit (Telemetry)/Critical Care Unit (CCU), Executive , Bakersfield, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!