Supervisor Clinical Lab Scientist
Company: Kern Medical
Posted on: February 15, 2019
Kern Medical has been a community cornerstone since its founding in 1867. Today, we are an acute care teaching center with 222 beds, offering the only advanced trauma care between Fresno and Los Angeles. Kern Medical cares for 15,500 inpatients and 125,000 clinic patients a year. Career Opportunities within Kern Medical include many benefits such as:
- New Hire Bonus: For select positions.
- New Hire Premium: +6% of base rate of pay, matched up to 6% if contributed to Deferred Compensation Plan.
- Shift Differential Pay: varies per classification.
- A Comprehensive Benefits Package: includes Holidays, Paid Time Off, Retirement, Medical, Dental, Vision and Life Insurance. Position: Supervisor Clinical Laboratory Scientist - Shift Description: Under technical and administrative direction, supervises the operation of a major section of the Clinical Laboratory; supervises and administers the educational programs in the Clinical Laboratory, including the medical technology teaching program; coordinates the quality assurance program for the Clinical Laboratory; works with staff of technologists and ancillary personnel; performs complex or special laboratory analyses. Distinguishing Characteristics: This is the supervisory classification in the Clinical Laboratory Scientist series, with responsibilities involving the organization, planning and supervision of work assignments, the maintenance of quality control programs and involvement in education programs of the Clinical Laboratory. A single position in this classification may be designated to serve as an education coordinator for the Clinical Laboratory. An individual must be designated to serve in the education coordinator capacity to meet requirements of the State of California, which licenses the Clinical Laboratory as a training site for medical technology students. Essential Functions:
- Supervises the performance of a variety of microbiological, serological, chemical and hemotological analyses.
- Performs complex or specialized tests and procedures; coordinates appropriate quality control programs for laboratory tests and procedures.
- Provides training and supervision of staff and medical technology students assigned to a section.
- Makes recommendations regarding hiring, promotion, disciplinary actions and terminations; evaluates performance of assigned staff.
- Assists in the organization and planning of work assignments.
- Performs laboratory tests and procedures; operates complex laboratory equipment and instruments.
- Maintains records and statistics relating to the work of the section; participates in education programs.
- Maintains records of examinations and findings; inputs and maintains clinical laboratory data utilizing computer hardware and applicable software.
- Maintains effective professional work relationships with laboratory staff other hospital departments and those contacted in the performance of required duties.
- The Supervising Clinical Laboratory Scientist serving as education coordinator:
- Assures that the medical technology teaching program meets requirements of the State of California and other regulatory agencies.
- Updates goals and objectives of the medical technology teaching program and assures attainment of the stated goals and objectives; coordinates the rotating of trainees through all areas of the clinical laboratory.
- Prepares and updates materials for lectures to medical technology trainees; maintains reference materials, including books, journals, and audiovisual aids necessary to all laboratory educational programs.
- Prepares and administers, in coordination with departmental supervisors, examinations, which test the trainee knowledge and progress in the program.
- Guides trainees in preparation for licensing and registration examinations; serves as liaison among staff medical technologists, pathologists, and trainees to further the teaching program and resolve program issues.
- Assists in the evaluation of students to be accepted into the medical technology teaching program; coordinates and may teach continuing education programs for all laboratory personnel, based upon review and evaluation of the quality of laboratory services and on the principles of laboratory safety.
- Provides an orientation program for all new laboratory employees; coordinates the quality assurance program for the laboratory in accordance with agency standards and regulations and in conjunction with the hospital quality assurance program.
- Maintains necessary documentation for all education programs conducted within the laboratory; utilizes computer hardware and applicable software. Other Functions:
- Performs other job-related duties as required. EMPLOYMENT STANDARDS: Three years experience as a licensed Clinical Laboratory Scientist , or as a specially licensed technologist, in a hospital or public health laboratory. Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Masters degree in a laboratory science is desirable. Certification by the American Society of Clinical Pathologists (ASCP) is desirable. Possession of a valid license to practice as a Medical Technologist in the State of California; or possession of a valid and current license issued by the State of California limited to specialization in Clinical Chemistry, Clinical Microbiology, or Clinical Immunohematology. The Supervising Clinical Laboratory Scientist serving as education coordinator shall possess a valid and current license as a Medical Technologist in the State of California. A Masters degree in a Laboratory Science is highly desirable. Knowledge of: laboratory principles, methods and techniques; the use and care of laboratory equipment; training and supervision principles and techniques; current computer software applicable to maintaining clinical laboratory data. Ability to: plan, direct and supervise the work of others, evaluate employee job performance and provide staff training and guidance; perform a variety of laboratory test findings; maintain accurate record and reports; operate computer hardware; utilize applicable software to input and maintain clinical laboratory data; understand and follow oral and written instructions; maintain effective working relationships with staff and those contacted in the performance of required duties.SUPPLEMENTAL:
- Employees must maintain all health requirements designated by Kern Medical;
- Depending on assignment incumbents may be required to possess and maintain specific certificates of competency as a condition of employment;
- A background check may be required for this classification. All Kern Medical employees are designated"Disaster Service Workers". In the event of a disaster or civil disorder, all Kern Medical employees are to remain at work or to report to work in a safe and practicable manner.
Keywords: Kern Medical, Bakersfield , Supervisor Clinical Lab Scientist, Healthcare , Bakersfield, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!