Clinical Informatics Specialist
Company: Kern Medical
Posted on: August 16, 2019
Kern Medical has been a community cornerstone since its founding in
1867. Today, we are an acute care teaching center with 222 beds,
offering the only advanced trauma care between Fresno and Los
Angeles. Kern Medical offers a range of primary, specialty, and
multi-specialty services including high-risk pregnancy care,
inpatient psychiatric services integrated with county mental health
programs, and a growing network of outpatient clinics providing
personalized patient-centered wellness care. Kern Medical cares for
15,500 inpatients and 125,000 clinic patients a year. Career
Opportunities within Kern Medical include many benefits such as:
- New Hire Premium: +6% of base rate of pay, matched up to 6% if
contributed to Deferred Compensation Plan.
- Shift Differential Pay: varies per classification.
- A Comprehensive Benefits Package: includes Holidays, Paid Time
Off, Retirement, Medical, Dental, Vision and Life Insurance.
Position: Clinical Informatics Specialist - RN The Clinical
Informatics Specialist RN will coordinate and monitor the analysis,
design, implementation, evaluation and maintenance of clinical
informatics applications and projects within the assigned area as
well as coordinate and provide direct support and education to KCHA
clinicians (physicians, nurses, and other interdisciplinary team
members) in their use of technology including the electronic health
records (EHR). ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Develop curriculum for clinical information and communication
systems and provides education for current and new employees.
- Coach, mentor, and provide one-on-one support for members of
the clinical team in gaining and maintaining competency in use of
clinical information and communication systems.
- Provide instructor-led training tailored to the learners'
individual needs, including but not limited to, flexibility with
time, location and content; assess and address education needs
related to clinician/provider use of clinical information
- Develop and coordinate communication about future EHR changes,
upgrades, and downtimes to clinical customers; develop and perform
competency assessments related to clinician use of information
systems, documents findings; designs and delivers targeted training
and remediation as necessary and evaluates effectiveness of
- Synthesize data, information, and knowledge to clarify
informatics issues or problems; analyze multiple
approaches/solutions to the informatics issue or problem, develop a
recommended informatics solution to the informatics issue or
- Identify analyze, prioritize, redesign, test, and implement
improvements to existing clinical information systems; lead root
cause analysis efforts related to clinical information
- Develop methods, techniques and evaluation criteria for
obtaining clinical information system performance improvement
results; consider factors related to safety, effectiveness, costs,
and impart to patient care when problem-solving.
- Provide support to Dragon Medical One, voice to text.
- Provide Tier 1 technical support to clinicians. Additional
- Performs other job related duties as required. EMPLOYMENT
- Bachelor's degree in nursing, other clinical discipline,
information technology/informatics, business, management,
communication, etc.; AND, one (1) plus years of experience in a
position that had same or similar primary duties; OR,
- Associates Degree or Certification in clinical discipline (e.g.
nursing, respiratory, therapy, medical assistant, surgery
technician, pharmacy technician), education, information
technology, business administration, or related healthcare field
with two (2) years of experience in a position that had the same or
similar primary duties, OR;
- Without a college degree, five (5) years plus of blended work
- Informatics certifications or credentialing; may be equivalent
for up to two (2) years' experience for this position at the hiring
- Active license or certification to practice as a clinician is
required if applicable. (MD, RN, Physical Therapist, Occupational
Therapist, Dietitian, Clinical Social Worker, Respiratory
- Staying current with HIPAA, CMS, and TJC (The Joint Commission)
standards, management and healthcare issues and trends, and legal
implications, pertaining to EHR access and use.
- For licensed nurses, physicians and other clinicians, knowledge
of professional standards as reflected in practice act of
- Experience with supporting clinician use of an EMR system, with
expertise in hospital or ambulatory clinical computer applications
(as appropriate for role) preferred.
- Education or experience in the area of adult learning and/or
- One (1) or tow (2) years' experience in creating, designing,
and writing training materials preferred.
- Project management and/or project team leadership experience
- Change management and process improvement leadership
- Intermediate experience with Microsoft Office applications
including Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint as well as SharePoint
- High-level familiarity with terminology for network
infrastructure, system/server infrastructure, end user computing
infrastructure, software and General IT infrastructure. Ability to
learn technical services terminology;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing
with internal customers, vendors, partners and business managers
across various levels of the organization.
- Well organized, attentive to detains and able to meet demanding
- Self-directed and motivated.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality. Supplemental: Dependent
upon assignment, applicants may be required to pass an extensive
background investigation, and be fingerprinted. Disqualification
for felony, misdemeanor, and traffic offenses will be assessed on a
case-by-case basis. All Kern Medical employees are
designated"Disaster Service Workers" through state and local laws
(CA Government Code Sec. 3 and Ordinance Code Title 2 -
Administration, Ch. 2.66 Emergency Services.) As Disaster Service
Workers, all employees are expected to remain at work, or to report
for work as soon as practicable following a significant emergency
Keywords: Kern Medical, Bakersfield , Clinical Informatics Specialist, Healthcare , Bakersfield, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!