Library Media Clerk
Company: Panama-Buena Vista Union School District
Posted on: May 3, 2021
Performs clerical library duties in a school library,
facilitating student access to materials, reference, and search
resources. Maintains the library in proper condition to facilitate
use by teachers, classes, and individual students. Performs
logistics, inventorying, and clerical duties related to the
services provided by the District's centralized instructional and
testing materials and media center including ordering, receiving,
processing, distributing, and controlling instructional materials
and maintaining inventory control records. Works under the
direction of Site Principal and District Curriculum
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Assists students with finding library materials. Helps students
use resource searches and library materials to locate information
- Receives, inventories, stores, and issues inventoried
instructional media, instructional supplies, textbooks and
instructional support materials and equipment.
- Assists teachers by scheduling computer lab, in-service tours,
and special study groups along with the established operations of a
school library. Provides basic technical support to students using
computers. Coordinates and monitors IT repairs.
- Sorts and files books utilizing the District's digital record
service. Maintains routine files related to library
- Catalogs pre-classified books and other library materials by
obtaining the correct bibliographic record on-line from a computer
- Prepares books and other materials for circulation. Applies
labels, pockets, and plastic covers to books and audiovisual
materials. Shelves and re-shelves books into proper alpha or
- Checks in periodicals received by the library. Discards
periodicals according to instructions. Displays or files
periodicals as appropriate.
- Charges out and checks in library materials. Collects service
charges on overdue, lost, or damaged materials. Prepares and
distributes overdue notices and similar short forms.
- Distributes, collects, and accounts for textbooks and other
controlled documents. Contacts other school sites to arrange for
receipt or transfer of textbooks to balance needs.
- Assists in coordinating literacy programs and events including,
but not limited to, Battle of the Books, Celebrity Reader, Family
Literacy Nights, and Book Fair.
- May facilitate small group reading sessions, introducing
students to grade-level materials.
- May research and complete book purchase requisitions for books
and materials from book vendors. Obtains authorized
- Performs clerical tasks such as data entry of library, media
and textbook inventory, and student transactions into to
pre-established databases using data entry screens, and preparing
reports on items such as books that are missing, replaced,
transferred, or discarded.
- Monitors and maintains an environment of acceptable student
behavior in the library.
- Attends meetings and trainings required by the district.
- Performs other duties as assigned that support the overall
objective of the position.
- Knowledge and Skills:
Requires basic knowledge of library methods, practices and
terminology including use of library computer-aided catalog and
basic reference sources. Requires basic knowledge of the Dewey
Decimal System of classification for library materials. Requires a
basic knowledge of the policies and procedures encompassing library
operations. Requires sufficient knowledge of personal computers and
common business and education software to instruct others in their
use. Requires sufficient knowledge of the English language to write
instructions and read expressively. Requires sufficient human
relations skill in order to influence students' reading habits and
to interact with staff and teachers on administration of library
- Requires the ability to perform the essential functions of the
position. Requires the ability to follow detailed procedures such
as standard library cataloging and filing rules. Requires the
ability to maintain a well organized and attractive library
setting. Requires the ability to apply and explain library rules,
regulations and policies. Requires the ability to monitor and
maintain acceptable student behavior. Requires the ability to deal
courteously with library patrons including students, teachers,
parents and members of the public. Requires the ability to perform
routine clerical and record keeping duties.
Education and Experience:
- A High School diploma or equivalent (GED)
- Post high school library science curriculum supplemented with
one year of experience in a library or similar instructional
Licenses and Certificates:
- Valid typing certificate.
- May require a valid driver's license.
Application Document Requirements:
- High School diploma or GED.
- Typing Certificate 40 WPM (must be dated within 1 year of job
- District Clerical Screening Test
Please visit our Human Resources Department Calendar for
Clerical Screening Test dates.
Salary and Terms of Service:
Salary range (23) $16.17 - $20.29 per hour, eight (8) steps,
eight (8) hours per day and five (5) days per week (M-F). Holidays,
sick leave and vacation benefits. Prepaid family dental, medical,
and vision insurance, prepaid life insurance plan for employee
only, prorated according to number of hours worked.
Required Application Procedure:
Apply Online. An online application and all documents supporting
the application requirements noted above must accompany your
application by the closing date in order to receive consideration
for this position. It shall be the applicant's responsibility to
supply copies of all documentation, letters of recommendation etc.
or other related materials.
A screening committee will evaluate each application, personal
resume, and other letters of reference. Interviews will be
scheduled for qualified applicants. If after interviews suitable
applicants are not found, the search will continue. As required by
California State Law, should you be employed by the District, your
fingerprints will be taken and submitted to the Justice Department
and the FBI for a background check. Processing fee will be at
Keywords: Panama-Buena Vista Union School District, Bakersfield , Library Media Clerk, Other , Bakersfield, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!