Job Title: Academic Support Service Specialist- Short-term
Temporary Hourly Pool, as needed Position Number: 02229 Posting
Date 10/12/2017 Closing Date Initial Screening Date Open Until
Filled Yes Position Type: Short-term Temporary Hourly Rate: Work
Week Monday-Friday, as needed Minimum Salary: $15.60/hr Maximum
This position is not eligible for health benefits.
College/Site: Bakersfield College Location BC-Main Campus Basic
This position will report to the appropriate Program Manager or
Director. The Academic Support Service Specialist will provide
assistance to various Academic Support Services, including but not
limited to: Supplemental Instruction (SI), Extend the Classroom
(ETC), Tutoring Center, and other areas.
Examples of Duties:
- Familiarize students with opportunities for academic support,
including students enrolled in courses targeted for Extend the
Classroom (ETC) program.
- Assist Program Manager or appropriate supervisor with the
intake, training, and evaluation of peer leaders.
- Consult with peer leaders on their progress toward professional
goals and objectives.
- Attend and participate in a variety of meetings and workshops
- Triage incoming students based on their needs and refer them to
appropriate campus and/or community resources.
- Assist with the assessment progress toward implementation of
goals and objectives for Academic Support Services.
- Monitor student workers serving Academic Support Services.
- Ensure effective coordination of different areas of Academic
Support Services by maintaining close communication with Program
Managers and/or classified staff.
Education and Experience Knowledge and Abilities
Academic Support Services available to Bakersfield College
Campus and community resources
Strong oral and written communication skills
Basic technological proficiency
Customer service skills
Understand and follow oral/written instructions
Work well with others
Convey ideas clearly verbally as well as in writing
Learn new computer software
Salary Grade Special Instructions to Applicants
Complete application packets will be accepted until the position
is filled. The College reserves the right to extend time limits or
reinitiate the recruitment/selection process at any point.
Completed application packet must include:
- Completed Online Application for Employment form
- Current resume
- Letter of interest (Cover Letter)
- Copy of legible transcripts, if applicable
- List of six (6) professional references - Listed on application
Applicants who require reasonable accommodation to participate
in the selection process should contact Human Resources to make the
The District does not provide sponsorship for authorization to
work in the United States. Work authorization should be established
at the time of application submission.