Position Title Portuguese Language Teacher (Summer 2021,
residential or online) Position Type CLV Seasonal - Summer
Employment Status Seasonal Number of Months 2 General Employment
five weeks, June-August 2021
General Work Schedule (days of week)
up to seven days per week
General shift hours
residential: 14 - 16 hours per day, plus overnight residential
online: up to 6 hours per day, plus preparation
Minimum Salary starting at $440 per week, plus room and board
(if residential) Job Summary/Basic Function
Deep in the North Woods of Minnesota, USA, Concordia Language
Villages creates a place that is both culturally authentic and
uniquely our own. In the Language Villages, everything from the
music played to the dishes used in the dining hall reflect the
culture each was designed to represent. We are a community of
educators from all corners of the globe, passionate about learning
every minute of the day. Our mission is to inspire courageous
global citizens through language and cultural immersion.
- Under the direction of the Four-week Curriculum Facilitator,
plan, teach and assess language classes.
- Maintain accurate grade records, complete mid-session progress
reports and final evaluations.
- Maintain communication with Four-week Curriculum Facilitator on
the progress of all villagers in the class.
- Live in a cabin with children ("villagers"), as part of a
counseling team, to provide supervision. Lead games, Cabin Council
and other activities to create a cabin community. (residential
- Assist with other aspects of Village life, including cultural
presentations and activity periods.
- Complete other tasks as assigned by the dean and leadership
starting at $440 per one-week period, room and board
(residential program only) .
General Responsibilities of All Positions:
- Be familiar with and abide by specific policies set forth in
the CLV Personnel Policies.
- Read and become familiar with the responsibilities for your
specific area of assignment.
- After receiving your Staff Handbook and other material from the
Village dean, read all information carefully and thoroughly before
arriving at the Village.
- Be advised the entire staff of each Village is under the
direction of and is responsible to the dean. While some positions
are supervised by other staff, the dean retains ultimate authority
and responsibility for the Village.
- All positions involve teaching language culture, with the
exception of summer support positions (e.g. culinary arts, health
- Report to orientation prior to your first session as designated
by your staff agreement.
- Assist with setting up the Village, preparing for the next
session, and maintaining the Village throughout the session.
- Work outdoors for a significant part of each day
- Speak the target language with villagers and staff members as
much as possible.
- Live in community living arrangements, assigned according to
gender. Nearly all positions include living, sleeping and sharing
communal bathroom facilities in a unit with villagers
(participants); positions that do not include living with villagers
do include living with other staff members.
- Model standards for behavior and be sensitive to the health and
welfare of the villagers.
- Remain one day after your final session for cleanup, inventory
and evaluation of the program.
- Bachelor's degree (B.A., B.S.) or international equivalent
- Intermediate or higher proficiency in the Village language,
both conversational and written
- Experience teaching the Village language and culture
- Experience working with adolescents 14-18 years of age
- Experience as a teacher in the United States school system,
- Teaching licensure, preferred
- Previous Concordia Language Villages or other camp experience
(residential or day only), preferred
of all positions:
Emotional resiliency and cognitive abilities to carry out job
responsibilities, ability to establish and maintain appropriate
professional relationships, interpersonal skills to interact
effectively with individuals and groups respecting social and
cultural diversity and to maintain appropriate boundaries.
of all positions that require living with villagers:
Ability to assist villagers in an emergency (fire, evacuation,
illness, injury); possess strength, physical ability, and endurance
to maintain constant supervision of villagers; observe villager
behavior, assess its appropriateness and apply appropriate
behavior-management techniques; possess visual and auditory ability
to identify and respond to environmental and other hazards related
to the cabin group.
All applicants affirm their commitment to the missions of
Concordia College and Concordia Language Villages; and to
diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Previous Concordia Language Villages or camping experience
- Teaching licensure preferred
- Experience as a teacher in the target language at the college
or university level
- Skills in teaching the target language and content in the
Position Opening Date 11/01/2020 Position Closing Date
08/25/2021 Open Until Filled No Screening Begins EEO Special
Instructions to Applicants
As part of our application process, you must arrange for the
submission of TWO references if any of the following conditions
you have not previously worked for Concordia Language
you have not worked for Concordia Language Villages in the past
- you plan to use Concordia Language Villages' J-1 Exchange
Visitor visa to enter the United States.
You must provide the names and email addresses for at least two
reference writers who know you in a professional capacity.
If you have worked for Concordia Language Villages with a break
of less than 12 months between the first day of employment this
upcoming summer and the last date of employment, you do not need
new references, BUT you must fill in "NA" in the mandatory fields
in the references section.
J-1 EXCHANGE VISITORS: ALL Exchange Visitors who will
potentially the J-1 Exchange Visitor visa to enter the United
States will need to submit two references from an employer and/or
university professor ANNUALLY.
You MUST provide an e-mail address for each reference provider.
The application system will automatically e-mail your reference
providers. Your reference providers will be able to download the
reference form and then upload the completed references
You will be able to track whether we have received the
references. The process is quick, simple and confidential.
Note: if you are applying for multiple positions, you may wish
to let your reference providers know they will receive a request
for each position; they may upload the same reference for each
position. If you cannot provide an e-mail address for any of your
reference providers or provide an incorrect e-address, contact
Log back in to this application system to ensure that your
reference providers have submitted the reference forms.
Employment Contingencies Background Check Quicklink for Posting