Position Title Cook Position Type Staff FTE
General Employment Period
August through May, with summer hours available
General Work Schedule (days of week)
General shift hours
Varies-includes nights and weekends
Benefits Eligible? Yes Job Summary/Basic Function
The primary responsibility of this position is to work as a team
member in the daily production requirements for meal plan, catering
and contracts in the Dining Services and ensure the highest level
of service for all customers. The cook prepares food through
various methods of baking, frying, broiling, grilling, etc. using
industrial kitchen equipment. The cook is also responsible for
maintaining adequate food levels during service times, maintaining
quality food standards, utilizing food safety and sanitation,
assisting in cleaning the kitchen and providing high quality
customer service through face-to-face interaction with our guests.
The cook also supervises cooks helpers, gives direction to
assistant cooks, and works to keep work areas and equipment clean
and maintained. The cook keeps accurate production records.
Support the mission and vision of Concordia College and
demonstrate the competencies as defined for this position.
- Production - 70%
- Prepare food for residential dining, catering and contract
customers and other events according to standardized recipes as
directed by the culinary manager.
- Maintain quality standards in food handling and
- Maintain standards of sanitation and safety as established by
local, state and federal health officials.
- Maintain cost awareness in preparation and storage of all
products with an emphasis on minimizing waste.
- Supervision of Student Employees - 10%
- Provide training and guidance to cooks helpers in the
production of food.
- Ensure that cooks helpers maintain standards of safety and
sanitation in food handling.
- Cleaning and Maintenance - 10%
- Maintain equipment and work areas in neat, clean and orderly
- Perform routine preventative maintenance on designated
- Report equipment repairs as needed.
- Record Keeping - 10%
- Complete service summary reports following each meal.
- Submit recipe adjustments as needed.
- Other duties as assigned
- Attend Planning Meetings as Assigned
- Previous large quantity cooking experience;
- High school degree or GED;
- Working knowledge of kitchen and production equipment;
- ServSafe certificate or similar food safety course certificate,
or pass ServSafe exam within the first year of employment.
- Formal culinary training and/or education preferred.
Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to organize and manage information and paperwork
including production and usage summary reports, recipes and
necessary recipe adjustments;
- Ability to demonstrate effective written and verbal
communication skills, prioritize tasks with the flexibility to
respond to changing needs;
- Ability to work within a team in a fast paced environment, and
take initiative to accomplish tasks;
- Ability to supervise student employees and utilize them
resourcefully to efficiently accomplish workload;
- Ability to work with a diverse group of people.
Open Until Filled Yes Screening Begins 06/01/2021 EEO/AA
Concordia College will not discriminate against or harass any
employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, creed,
sex, religion, national origin, age, veteran's status, disability,
genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital
status, familial status, public assistance status, membership or
activity in a local human rights commission, or any other legally
Special Instructions to Applicants Employment Contingencies
Background Check Location Moorhead