Advisor- Communities & Social Performance
Company: Rio Tinto
Posted on: June 25, 2022
Advisor- Communities & Social Performance
- Opportunity to work alongside and network with a global team of
Rio Tinto professionals.
- Become a member of a global mining organization with a strong
focus on safety, community, and government engagement
- This is a Hybrid role based at Rio Tinto U.S. Borax in Boron,
CAThe OpportunityWe are looking for an Advisor, Communities and
Social Performance (CSP) to be a part of the CSP team at
California's largest open pit mine - Rio Tinto U.S. Borax. The
successful candidate will support multi-disciplinary field teams
with expertise, planning and the delivery of key CSP initiatives,
systems, and training. The role will provide advice and support to
ensure that CSP issues are identified scoped and managed while
engaging and partnering with critical stakeholders.With 150 years
of history, U.S. Borax is proud of the positive relationships it
has built with local communities and governments. Reporting to the
External Affairs, Government, and CSP Manager, this role requires
an enthusiastic, detail-oriented professional with the ability to
embrace a mining operation and appreciate its value to area
communities and governments. Working out of the Boron Operations
Corporate office, you will:
- Manage community engagement activities focusing on achieving
project outcomes and advancing Rio Tinto U.S. Borax' reputation
within the community.
- Understand and provide advice on CSP risks, concerns,
activities, and compliance.
- Help develop local strategies to address CSP concerns, adapting
them to the specific needs of the project.
- Lead and advance CSP training for project teams and new hires -
elevating the awareness and understanding of the value of strong
CSP to the business.
- Represent the company at formal and informal meetings - with
important external stakeholders.
- Track engagements and donations; provide updates on external
partnerships, record social risk actions, and foster strong
relationships with external stakeholders.
- Execute reporting activities to maintain compliance with CSP
standards, develop internal and external relationships; follow
company policies and standards.
- Undertake financial administration of purchasing, payables,
check requests and expense reconciliation.
- Support new and existing programs designed to meet CSP
objectives. Includes supporting the U.S. Borax Visitor Center
Foundation's donation and scholarship program and site donation
considerations. The work must ensure alignment and compliance with
Rio Tinto policies and Partner to Operate Investment, CSP, and
business integrity standards.What you will need for this roleTo
succeed in this role, you will have:
- Proven ability in developing, managing, and tracking data
utilizing Excel spreadsheets and other reporting software.
- Minimum of five years demonstrated experience.
- Have a good understanding of the region including the counties
of Kern, San Bernardino, and Los Angeles. Able to do some travel
and spend limited time from home.
- Post-secondary education in Community Relations,
Communications, Public Affairs, or related fields will be
considered an asset.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills in working collaboratively
and building sustaining relationships.
- Excellent time management and prioritization skills
- Financial administration experience in submitting purchasing
requisitions, purchase orders, payment requests and reconciliation
of expense reports.
- Project management skills and experience in coordinating
- Ability to work collaboratively with technical staff to achieve
outcomes through the sharing of expertise and technical
- Sound communication skills including the ability to write
recommendations and reports to senior leaders and present
information to a range of stakeholders.
- Strong skills using Microsoft Office (Word, Excel,
- Ability to travel to nearby communities and occasionally work
outside of normal hours, as necessary. Valid CA driver's
license.What we offerWe are committed to providing our employees
with what they deserve. Be recognized for your contribution, your
thinking, your hard work, and go home knowing you've helped the
world progress, we provide:
- A safety-focused and inclusive working environment
- Advantageous salary package with annual cash incentive awards
(STIP) for eligible employees
- Access to top tier family-friendly health programs including
medical, prescription drug, dental, vision, life insurance
coverage, and various voluntary benefits.
- A 6% of eligible pay Company contribution to save for your
- Generous 401(k) Company match program (company match dollar per
dollar up to 6% of your base pay) up to defined limits
- Generous Rio Tinto employee share program, which allows you to
purchase Rio Tinto stock in the form of ADRs and includes matching
- Comprehensive leave policies which cover all moments that
matter in life (vacation, short-term sick leave, paid holidays,
paid bereavement leave).
- Regional and national discounts program for a multitude of
leisure purposes and products
- Ongoing Employee Assistance Program (EAP) for you and your
family; to help in addressing educational opportunities, addiction
treatment, depression, stress, domestic issues, financial
management, and legal concerns.
- Our team and industry experts are here to support and work with
you to explore your learning potential and career goalsAbout Rio
TintoEvery idea, every innovation, every little thing the world
calls 'progress' begins with
a first step, and someone willing to take it: explorers, inventors,
entrepreneurs. Pioneers.For nearly 150 years, Rio Tinto has been a
company of pioneers - generations of people spanning the globe, all
with the grit and vision to produce materials essential to human
progress.Our iron ore has shaped skylines from Shanghai to Sydney.
Our aluminium - the world's first to be certified "responsible" -
helps planes fly and makes cars lighter. Our copper helps wind
turbines power cities and our boron helps feed the world, and
explore the universe.
Our diamonds help us celebrate the best parts of life.Where you
will be workingRio Tinto Borates is a global leader in industrial
mineral supply and science. We supply approximately 25% of the
world's demand for refined borates, minerals essential to life and
modern living. We seek to create mutual value by working closely
with our investment partners and host communities. Our 20 Mule Team
Borax brand pays tribute to our first borates mining operation in
Death Valley in 1872.Every Voice MattersWe are committed to an
inclusive environment where people feel comfortable to be
themselves. We want our people to feel that all voices are heard,
all cultures respected and that a variety of perspectives are not
only welcome - they are essential to our success. We treat each
other fairly and with dignity regardless of race, gender,
nationality, ethnic origin, religion, age, sexual orientation or
anything else that makes us different.At Rio Tinto, we particularly
welcome and encourage applications from Indigenous Peoples, women,
the LGBTQ+ community, mature workers, people with disabilities and
people from different cultural backgrounds.Equal Opportunity
Employer M/F/D/VRio Tinto participates in E-Verify to confirm work
authorization. Please visit http://www.uscis.gov/ for more
Keywords: Rio Tinto, Bakersfield , Advisor- Communities & Social Performance, Other , Boron, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!