Instructional Assistant (FT)
Company: Valley Achievement Center
Posted on: January 20, 2023
Job DescriptionCOVID-19 considerations:
- All employees are required to wear a mask
- MUST be COVID-19 vaccinated.Salary:
- $14 an hourJob Type:
- Part-timeJob Requirements:
- Ensure student and employee safety at all times.
- Maintain close proximity to the assigned student(s) at all
- Maintain student and/or classroom program binders and notify
Program Manager/Teacher of any concerns regarding student
- Implement VAC techniques and approved methods of intervention
for student behavior(s).
- Maintain a professional and objective relationship with
students, parents, VAC vendors, supervisors, and other
- Lead lessons, instruction, games, and activities as stated in
Individual Program Plans (IPP) or Individual Education Plans
- Protect and uphold student confidentiality at all times.
- Collect, record, and maintain accurate data pertaining to
students' IPP/IEP goals.
- Work with a variety of students within the Autism Spectrum or
with other Developmental Disabilities.
- Maintain organization of student work/classroom area.
- Complete daily assigned job responsibilities at the beginning
or end of the shift.
- Ability to exercise appropriate behavior modification
techniques when necessary.
- Follow the appropriate chain of command when faced with
concerns related to students, parents, VAC vendors, supervisors,
and other employees.
- Attends, and actively participates in, all required employee
- Demonstrates accuracy, thoroughness, and personal
accountability; looks for ways to improve or promote quality.
- Adheres to all VAC policies and procedures as outlined in the
- Actively participate in community-based instruction throughout
the year, and actively participate in water activities (changing
into appropriate swim attire is required, as outlined in the VAC
- Exemplifies VAC's Mission, Vision, and Core Values.
- Performs other duties as assigned.Job Qualifications:
- Ability to communicate effectively (oral and written) with
students, parents, VAC vendors, supervisors, and other
- Ability to work as a team, actively participate and collaborate
with other team members.
- Knowledge of crisis management techniques is preferred.
- Ability to maintain composure, remain objective, demonstrate
sound judgment, and react effectively in challenging
- Prior experience working with individuals with Developmental
Disabilities is preferred.
- Flexible and adaptable to the student, program, and
- Exhibits a positive, solution-oriented, and motivating demeanor
at all times.Educational Requirements:
- High School Diploma or GED required (all programs).
- 20 College units or Paraprofessional Certification required
(Basic Ed only).
- Minimum of 6 units of Child Development (required for our
Preschool department only).
- 2-year degree or equivalent from a regionally accredited
university preferred (all programs).Physical Requirements:
- Lifting and carrying up to 60 lbs. with assistance.
- Frequent squatting, sitting, walking, standing, bending and
twisting, kneeling, crawling and climbing.
- Simple grasping with both hands and fine manipulation with both
- Occasional running, pushing and pulling, reaching above and
below shoulder level.
- Regular exposure to excessive noise levels.
- Walking and running on uneven surfaces.
- Regular exposure to outside elements, including excessive heat,
direct sunlight, cold, wind or rain.Certificates:
- CPR/First Aid certification preferred.
- Completion of behavior modification training within the first
30 days of employment is provided and required.
About Valley Achievement Center:
Valley Achievement Center (VAC) was founded by Jolene Billinger and
Bonny Hulsy. These two passionate mothers of children with autism
had a vision to help many families like them in our community.
VAC's Basic Education Program was established to provide a
progressive, positive and well-staffed school that would use proven
research based techniques to help children with autism attain their
educational goals and improve functional skills.VAC quickly
developed a reputation for making substantial progress with its
students. As a result, increasing numbers of children were referred
to VAC. When parents expressed a need for afterschool adaptive
skills and social skills programs for their children with autism,
VAC established its Intermediate Afterschool (ages 6 through 9) and
Afterschool (ages 10 through 22) programs, as well as its Social
Skills Program (ages 6 through 18) to meet the need. As those
children who attended VAC became adults, it became clear that they
and other adults in the community with autism and other
developmental disabilities would continue to require ongoing
support and services. In response, VAC opened its Adult Services
programs, which include supported living, supported employment, and
its adult behavioral day program, to continue to meet the needs of
its clients and to ensure that, regardless of age, individuals in
our community with autism and other developmental disabilities will
have the support they need to achieve their goals and thrive.VAC
currently has 12 programs for children and adults with autism and
other developmental disabilities. Our more than 300 employees
operate out of our four sites in Bakersfield, providing exceptional
service to our wonderful clients and their families.
Keywords: Valley Achievement Center, Bakersfield , Instructional Assistant (FT), Other , Bakersfield, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!